A body wrap – also known as a ‘body cocoon’ or ‘body mask’ – is a spa treatment created to enhance the health and appearance of skin, and/or reduce body measurements. A nourishing oil or mineral-rich formula is applied to the spa guest’s limbs and torso before they are wrapped in cotton, mylar bandages or a plastic film. This promotes the extraction of dirt, toxins and excess water from the skin.A body wrap should begin with exfoliation, and a salt scrub or body polish is much superior to dry brushing. You lie down on whatever you will eventually be wrapped in – often plastic or mylar, but sometimes towels or sheets.
The pampering experience of a body wrap can provide multiple benefits, depending on the type chosen:
- Detoxification: Body wraps featuring detoxifying algae, seaweed, mud or clay can help rid the body of toxins through metabolic skin cell stimulation. As your largest organ, detoxification of the epidermis can have a significant effect on your health and overall well-being
- Temporary inch and/or weight loss: Wraps with detoxifying ingredients teamed with firmly wound bandages will see you sweat out any excess water and toxins, and also tighten your skin. This can temporarily improve the contours of your body and see you lose a dress size or two
- Dead skin removal: Wrap treatments comprising an exfoliation stage will see dead skin cells lifted, providing you a smoother complexion top-to-toe and a flattering glow. You can choose to enjoy a body polish before your wrap if exfoliation is not included as part of your treatment
- Intensive moisturisation: The vast majority of wraps comprise moisturising ingredients to hydrate, nourish and smooth your skin for improved condition
- Relaxation: Once you’re fully wrapped by your esthetician, you’ll be left to relax for up to 30 minutes. This will provide you with valuable – and rare – mental and physical downtime
Whether you are undergoing a body wrap to lose inches, reduce cellulite, aid a skin ailment, or simply as a pampering treat, you can expect the results from such to last a few days to a week. Your body will slowly re-toxify itself over time – a process that is much faster for those who smoke, drink alcohol and/or have a poor diet – and this will see your skin and body return to its previous appearance and form.
However, undergoing your chosen wrap treatment regularly and adopting a healthier lifestyle can help train your skin and body over time, providing you much longer-lasting results.
There are many different wraps available but some of the most popular include:
- algae wrap (nourishes and detoxifies)
- chocolate wrap (has anti-ageing properties and tones)
- clay wrap (detoxifies, cleanses and firms)
- mud wrap (detoxifies, cleanses and firms)
- oil wrap (nourishes and moisturises)
- paraffin wrap (moisturises and reduces muscle aches)
- seaweed wrap (hydrates and firms).