Winter can be a brutal time of the year for your lips.
The cold air, the chilling wind and dry, heated air inside all conspire to make your smoocher dry and tight.Having healthy lips in winter, maybe a dream come true for many. Well, here is an article for you which will help you to maintain the moisture of the lips. You tend to have very dry and cracked lips every winter. However, this winter is going to be really different! Because you have some great health care tips to get rid of unhealthy lips! The skin on your lips is very thin and has no oil glands to prevent it from chapping. So it is completely your potential to keep them healthy.
Here are tips to keep your lips smooth and lovely all winter long:
Don’t lick your lips. When your lips are dry, it’s natural to want to lick them to make them moist. But licking your lips actually has the opposite effect. “Once you put saliva on the lips, it dries out and makes our lips even more dry,” Dr. Piliang says. “Plus the enzymes that are in saliva that are meant to digest food are irritating to the lips.”
Use a lip balm that is ointment-based. This will lock in the moisture and help to heal cracks and splits in the skin. Look for a healing ointment that contains petrolatum, essential oils or glycerin. Another important ingredient is sunscreen — there still is sun in the winter.
Avoid lip balms containing camphor, eucalyptus and menthol. These substances actually dry out your lips and make the problem worse. In response, you apply more of this kind of lip balm, and the cycle continues.
Avoid brushing or rubbing your lips when they are flaky or peeling. “It’s better not to scrub your lips or pick the peeling skin off with your teeth or your fingers. That just creates cracks and sores on your lips and can make things worse,and help to heal your lips.”
Treat cracks right away. If you let them go, they can become worse and possibly get infected or lead to a cold sore.
At night, apply lip balm before you go to bed. Many people sleep with their mouths open. Eight hours of breathing in and out through your mouth can dry your lips, Dr. Piliang says. Also consider using a humidifier at night if the air in your house is dry because of being heated.
For the winter season, you need to choose lip balms with extra moisturizing agents. The lip balms you choose should have a long lasting effect. They will keep your lips moisturized for a longer period of time. It is an added advantage if the lip balm contains SPF in it. The lip balms which contain the following are the best for your lips.
- Shea Butter: Shea butter acts as a natural sun block and it has allantoin, which is a healing agent. This is the best ingredient to have in a lip balm. It gives a soothing effect to the lips.
- Aloe Vera: As we all know, Aloe Vera consists of anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial agents which protect the skin from any kind of infections. Aloe Vera is also very soothing and moisturizing, when applied on the lips.
- Glycerin: Glycerin is a natural skin softer and it holds agents that bind moisture and skin together.
- Jojoba Oil: It is one of the best nourishing oils for the skin. It softens and lubricates the skin, when it is applied.
- Vitamin E: It is a powerful antioxidant and moisturizing agent. It protects the lips from the sun.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil relieves dry and itchy skin. It also softens and moisturizes the lips.
- Beeswax: It is a non allergic skin softener, that moisturizes and nourishes the skin. It consists of anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial agents that guard and protect the skin.
- Vitamin A and D: These are pro-active vitamin complexes that are skin friendly. They contain fatty acids that are easily absorbed into the skin. They help to soothe and heal the skin effectively.
If you are in a habit of using lipstick everyday, choose the ones with moisturizing ingredients. It is better to avoid lipstick, especially in winter. Instead, you can use a moisturizing lip balm, with a tint of lip color.